Welcome!

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."

-C.S. Lewis


What we read has such an impact on us, and I am always on the lookout for something that will inspire me to be a better person. Here is a sampling of books that have been in the teetering stack sitting on top of what is rumored to be my bedside table.





Monday, May 16, 2011

No, He Can't: How Barack Obama is Dismantling Hope and Change, by Kevin McCullough

The title of this book says it all: McCullough is not a fan of Obama's policies, and the book is devoted to listing specific offenses. It is divided into sections on the economy, domestic and foreign policy, and morality.

I was looking forward to reading this book because I felt that it would provide an in-depth look at Obama's policies and their effect on America. The book certainly does that, albeit in a disjointed way. The main thesis of examining Obama is often laid aside for discussions of celebrities that seem wholly unconnected to US policy. It makes for a confusing read.

Furthermore, any undergraduate poli. sci. term paper would have to cite way more sources than this book ever does, and that bothered me.  I never knew if what I was reading was fact or biased opinions partly rooted in fact.

In summary, this book really could have done a lot more in discussing Obama than it did. Certainly there are serious issues with this presidency that should be evaluated. But the biases in this book make it difficult for me to recommend it to anyone for that purpose. Had it been more scholarly, I might have been able to take it more seriously.

I was provided this book by the publisher and was not required to give a positive review.

Two out of Five Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment