Welcome!

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."

-C.S. Lewis


What we read has such an impact on us, and I am always on the lookout for something that will inspire me to be a better person. Here is a sampling of books that have been in the teetering stack sitting on top of what is rumored to be my bedside table.





Monday, July 2, 2012

Chosen: The Lost Diaries of Queen Esther, by Ginger Garrett

          This is the first book of Ginger Garrett's I've read, and I must say that I was pleasantly surprised.  I am not normally a fan of ancient history, so I wasn't expecting to like this one.  But it wasn't long before I was so drawn into the story that I found myself thinking about it when I wasn't reading it.
           
            Chosen follows the story of the Biblical Esther.  I read the Book of Esther just before starting this book.  It's a short one, which meant that Garrett had to add quite a bit to the story to make it novel-length.  She does this masterfully, however.  Her writing style is captivating, and her attention to historical fact and detail lends credence to her story.  In some cases, she footnotes passages with historical information.

            What I Loved - The characterization of Esther. She pops out as a real person in this novel, and her hopes and dreams are as familiar to me as my own.
           
            What I Didn't Love - The footnotes that lead to commentary at the back of the book.  In many cases, these were either preachy or distracted from the story altogether. I think any person picking up this book is going to be able to make the connection that some choices we might make are wrong.  The commentary just wasn't necessary.

            Who Would Love This Book - Yes, this is a religious book.  But it's also a book about oppression, specifically against women.  I see this book reaching anyone who is interested in inspiring stories, ancient history, or feminism.

            Four out of Five Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment