Welcome!

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."

-C.S. Lewis


What we read has such an impact on us, and I am always on the lookout for something that will inspire me to be a better person. Here is a sampling of books that have been in the teetering stack sitting on top of what is rumored to be my bedside table.





Sunday, January 13, 2013

House of Mercy, by Erin Healy


House of Mercy, by Erin Healy, is a story of charity, forgiveness, and redemption.  Its main characters are members of a Rocky Mountain ranching family who are trying to succeed despite personal conflicts and pending financial ruin.

I was excited to read this book because I had read Healy's The Promises She Keeps.  Healy is a talented writer who examines Christian themes from a different perspective than your run-of-the-mill fare in this genre.  The plot of this book does not disappoint - nor does the author's gift for writing an intelligent story.  In House of Mercy, we follow a family undergoing serious financial issues.  They try to heal broken relationships throughout, and also try to keep their dream of providing a safe haven for the needy.  There is a touch of the supernatural, and also of horror.

Despite the intricacies of the plot, however, the characters never really came to life for me.  The storyline concerning the doctor was certainly the most interesting, in its terrifying way.  But this alone wasn't enough to make the story memorable for me, personally.

I do recommend this book for anyone who is looking for a well-written Christian book that explores serious themes.

Three out of Five Stars

Disclaimer:  I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for a fair review.

No comments:

Post a Comment