Welcome!

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."

-C.S. Lewis


What we read has such an impact on us, and I am always on the lookout for something that will inspire me to be a better person. Here is a sampling of books that have been in the teetering stack sitting on top of what is rumored to be my bedside table.





Sunday, April 12, 2015

On Distant Shores, by Sarah Sundin



     On Distant Shores is the second novel in a series about flight nurses in World War II.  I loved the first book, With Every Letter, and was anxious enough to read the sequel that I actually bought it from the Kindle store.  The first one was free, but Sarah Sundin's carefully researched story sucked me in.  And I have to say, after having read On Distant Shores, I am now an avid fan of Sundin's works.

     My only issue with the first book was that the writing style seemed simplistic.  I didn't find that here.  On Distant Shores was so well crafted that I found it difficult to put down.

     In this installment, we read about Georgie, the bubbly nurse from the first book, and her journey as she discovers the strength she never knew she had.  Along the way, she is guided by Hutch, a pharmacist who is struggling with his own overwhelming desire to become something more than what he is.  Hutch's story is very interesting from an historical point of view; although he is a pharmacist, he is not an officer.  WWII Army pharmacists and techs were enlisted men despite their education.  Hutch becomes involved in the push to start the Army Pharmacy Corps.  Since Sundin is a pharmacist herself, the details of his life are particularly good.

     As with the first installment in the series, this book was very well researched.  It's also charged with emotion as we see Georgie and Hutch experience the war in a way that will change them forever.  A must-read for anyone who enjoys good historical fiction.

     Five out of Five Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment