Welcome!

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."

-C.S. Lewis


What we read has such an impact on us, and I am always on the lookout for something that will inspire me to be a better person. Here is a sampling of books that have been in the teetering stack sitting on top of what is rumored to be my bedside table.





Tuesday, November 3, 2015

The God You Thought You Knew, by Alex McFarland



     Alex McFarland has written a very worthwhile book in The God You Thought You Knew Exposing the 10 Biggest Myths About Christianity.  As the title suggests, there are ten chapters in this book, each one discussion questions that Christians are asked - by others or by themselves - every day.  

     The book is an apologetics discussion.  They're great for enabling a new Christian to learn the faith, or for "experienced" Christians to solidify what they've learned.  I feel that the theology is sound and based on Scripture rather than many of the "magic wand" books I've seen on the market.  If you're looking for a book that tells you how God is going to make you richer / happier / more successful etc, this isn't the book for you.  If you're looking for a book that explains God as he represents himself through the Bible, then this is it.

     Apologetics aside, the topics are very convicting for any Christian.  Take, for example, Myth #1 - Christianity is intolerant and judgmental toward others.  We've got a lot of that in our faith, and none of it is actually condoned by the faith.  The author explains point by point why we are not called to judge others.  This chapter, along with the others, stands as a good reminder for all Christians of who we are called to be.

     In essence, if you've ever wanted to know the answers to tough questions like why the Bible seems to contradict itself, or how accurate the Bible is, then I recommend this book.  It's very thought provoking.  Like any good book, it planted the seed for even more questions in my mind as I read it.  A few areas seemed weak on intellectual rigor.  However, fortunately, the author has listed a topical "further reading" list at the end.  So I've got my homework cut out for me!

    Four out of Five Stars

Disclaimer:  I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for a  fair and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment