Welcome!

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."

-C.S. Lewis


What we read has such an impact on us, and I am always on the lookout for something that will inspire me to be a better person. Here is a sampling of books that have been in the teetering stack sitting on top of what is rumored to be my bedside table.





Saturday, February 13, 2016

Mermaid Moon, by Colleen Coble



     In Mermaid Moon, we meet Mallory, who must return to her Maine hometown after the sudden death of her father.  Shortly after arriving, she realizes that her father may have been murdered.  She is joined in this theory by Kevin O'Connor,  a local game warden who is an integral part of her past.  And her father's death isn't the only foul play to occur.  One by one, more tragedies strike until Mallory realizes that she may be the next target.  With the help of Kevin, Mallory seeks to resolve the issues of a distant past that has come back to haunt her.  

     I think the setting was the true star of this Christian romantic suspense.  Coble writes such brilliant descriptions that I really felt I was living in a coastal Maine town with her characters.  The book is worth the read just for that.

     Other than that, I found it difficult to get into the plot.  Multiple traumatic events happen in this book, and the characters seem to take them in stride for the most part.  Mallory doesn't seem to grieve much for her father, which I found odd.  And she keeps finding excuses for other terrifying events that happen.  I found myself more intrigued by Kevin and his family politics than I did by Mallory and her many crises.

     Coble is a talented author, and I'll read more of her books.  This one was just all right for me, but her writing is such that I want to seek out what else she's written.

     Disclaimer:  I was given this book by the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.   

     Three out of Five Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment