Welcome!

"You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me."

-C.S. Lewis


What we read has such an impact on us, and I am always on the lookout for something that will inspire me to be a better person. Here is a sampling of books that have been in the teetering stack sitting on top of what is rumored to be my bedside table.





Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Siren's Song, by Mary Weber


Siren's Song  is the third book in a fantasy trilogy.  I did not realize it was part 3 of a trilogy when I picked it up to read.  Obviously, it would be much better to read parts 1 and 2 first!

The writing was solid, but I struggled to get through the book.  This isn't the first time I've walked into a movie after intermission, so to speak, but typically speaking, I can follow the plot quite well.  Not so with this book.  There was very little review of what had already happened, as so many other sequels have.  And so, it was tough for me to understand what was happening.  I think a lot of this was due to the fact that the main character herself was struggling to understand what was happening in her world.  And since the book is told in first person, I suffered the same confusion.  

I will say that there was quite a lot of sitting around the talking, rather than any real action until the end.  This didn't add to my enjoyment.

I did think the writing was good, as I've already mentioned.  I'd read other books by this author - this just wasn't the one for me.

Two out of Five Stars

Disclaimer:  I was given a copy of this book by the publisher in exchange for a fair and honest review.


No comments:

Post a Comment